Prompted to find alternative ways to entertain my friends due to a herniated disc, I tried my hand at writing a trivia/pub quiz.
Please use, remix, and fix some of the impossible questions.
(The specific genre of audience-tailored trivia for a group of friends owes a deep gratitude to Sumedh Joshi R.I.P.)
Round point structure.
- 1x 1 points Warmup multiple choice question.
- 3x 2-point one-correct answer.
- 1x List as many as possible.
- (1 point) The name Mendocino is derived from A). The 16th century Spanish circumnavigator. or B) A bastardization of the “Mein de Chino” owing to the famed chow mein from the area?
- (2 points) Thought to not exist outside of California and Oregon, in 1943 this tree was also discovered in Foresty China, where it also grows to 60m tall. In chinese it’s described as the “water fir.” What tree is it?
- The Redwood
- (2 points) The pacific coast used to be one of the most densely populated sections of North America by Native Americans and First Nations people.
- Tlingit, Nisga’a, Tsimshian, Gitxsan, Haisla, Heiltsuk, Nuxalk, Wuikinuxv, Kwakwaka’wakw, Nuu-chah-nulth, Makah, Coast Salish, Chimakum, Quileute, Willapa. Chinook, Tillamook, Yuki, the Pomo, the Cahto, and the Wintun, Tolowa, York, Wilyot, Bear River, Mattole, Kashaya, Miwok, Ramaytush, Awaswas, Mutsun, Rumsen, Esselen, Chumash, Tongva, Kumeyaay
- (2 points) Which sea creature in California is only legal to catch north of the San Francisco Bay, and only if they are larger than 7 inches.
- (1 point each) Mendocino is both the name of town and a county. Name as many California counties which have a city of the same name.
- Alameda, Amador, Fresno, Los Angeles, Madera, Marina, Mariposa, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernadino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Barabara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Sonoma, Ventura, Yuba
Round 2: Chemistry
- (1 points) Which drug involved a bicycle during World War II? Is it A) 2C-B, B) Mescaline, or C) LSD
- C. LSD.
- (2 points) Swapped for Silver and Tea in a triangle trade, which drug was responsible for 2 major wars and left behind 12 million addicts?
- (2 points) MDA and MDMA are difficult to make in large quantities because of the limited supply of oil coming from which tree?
- (2 points) The drug responsible for the death of Michael Jackson is the also the most commonly used opioid for labor pains in the states. Which is it?
- (1 point each). List all the state in which recreational Marijuana is currently legal.
- Alaska, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Oregon, Washington, and Nevada. (-1 point for California since its not legalized until 1 Jan 2018.).
Round 3: Music
In the next round a sample from a song. Name the song. I’ll play each twice. Download the samples.
- Music samples 1 point for the artist 1 point for the name of the song
- Gimme gimme gimme – Abba.
- Short-circuit – A daft punk
- How far I’ll go – Moana theme song.
- Despacito – Luis Fonsi
- Eple – Röyksopp
- Das Model – Kraftwerk
- Dance yourself clean – LCD Soundsystem
- Soul Bossa nova – Quincy Jones
- One step ahead – Aretha franklin
- Mercy – Kanye
Round 4: Neoliberalism and the World Order
- (1 point) [Joke question to lighten the mood. Shamelessly ripped from Andy Zalzman of the Bugle.] Despots. Ramzan Kadyrov’s rule of Chechnya has been characterized by which classic combination of despostic hobbies. Is it A) an incorrigable love of open and free political debate, massive amount of state funding for the arts and a fanatical devotion to LGBT rights. Was it B) macrame, pitch-and-putt golf, zumba line-dancing and sesame street or was it C) high-level corruption, a terrible human rights record, and a growing cult of personality?
- (2 points) Speaking of human rights violations, North Korea is increasingly under pressure by international sanctions. Name one of North Korea’s top 3 exports:
- Coal, Fishing, Jackets (textiles).
- (2 point) A landmark moment of the Arab spring Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak was overthrown by a protest occurring in which square?
- Tahrir Square.
- (2 points) The Paris climate accord seeks to limit the increase in average global temperatures by how many degrees celsius?
- 2 degrees celsius
- (1 per right answer) You’re fired. List as many staff as that Trump has either fired or have resigned during tenure at the white house.
- Fired: Bannon, Scaramucci, Gorka, Priebus, Spicer, Dubke, Shaub, Comey, Flynn, Yates, Bharara, Walsh
Round 5: Counterculture.
- (1 point) [Impossible question which needs revision] Which of the following hippie bullshit are not fermented: kimchi, Kombucha, soju, apple cider vinegar, sauerkraut.
- (2 points) Surpassing humans in raw numbers. Which animal boast a global population of 20 Billion?
- (2 points) The darknet hidden internet is most commonly analogized by which vegetable?
- (2 points) This year 70,000 people flocked to the Black Rock Desert to participate in Burning Man—but that’s not the only place it’s ever been held. List all the locations at which burning man has been held.
- Baker Beach, Block Rock City, and 1997 50 ft (15 m) Hualapai Playa after BLM ban from 1996.
- (1 points per correct answer) as many of the noble eight-fold path of Buddhism.
- Right View or Right Understanding, insight into the true nature of reality.
- Right Intention, the unselfish desire to realize enlightenment.
- Right Speech, using speech compassionately.
- Right Action, using ethical conduct to manifest compassion.
- Right Livelihood, making a living through ethical and non-harmful means.
- Right Effort, cultivating wholesome qualities and releasing unwholesom
- Right Mindfulness, whole body-and-mind awareness.
- Right Concentration, meditation or some other dedicated, concentrated practice.